L2 released an animated video this week with the Digital IQ Index: Department Stores. The video shows department stores are far from dead, despite doomsday warnings. The category is expected to grow 22% in the next five years, and China will account for about half of the $100 billion incremental spend.
Here is what department stores are doing right:
– Half of the brands in L2’s Department Stores Index offer click-and-collect, or the option of picking up online purchases in-store. That is a 17% increase from last year. Likewise, 68% allow in-store returns of online purchases.
– 79% of brands in the Index provide a mobile site experience, and 44% of mobile optimized sites accept PayPal.
– 77% of department stores maintain at least one iOS application, and a quarter of those have a barcode scanner.
A few things they could improve:
– Just 18% of mobile sites are available in multiple languages.
– Only 13% of Index brands host a tablet-optimized site.
– Less than a quarter of brands provide in-store store inventory access in real time.
For a full assessment of 56 iconic global department store brands, download L2’s 2014 Department Stores report.
L2 emails keep you up to date on how brands are leveraging digital to grow their businesses.
Join Our EMail List