It was on this day back in 2006 when Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey typed the world wide web’s first Tweet. With 121 characters to spare, Dorsey simply typed, “inviting coworkers.” Since that moment, more than 532 million others — 140 million of whom are considered “active” regulars, logging in at least once per month — have joined the site, which now facilitates more than a billion Tweets and direct messages every three days. As one does on a birthday, it’s always fun and telling to take a look back and remember how it all began. Here below, in chronological order, some of L2’s favorite Twitterers’ first Tweets. Enjoy.
- December 18, 2008: @BenefitBeauty Free rush hour with $30 order. Enter RUSHGIFT at checkout. Today only!
- June 17, 2009: @LouisVuitton Does the journey create the person or does the person create the journey? www.louisvuittonjourneys.com
- June 19, 2009: @Sephora We’re busy getting a makeover at @Sephora! Find us at www.twitter.com/sephorablog, we’ll be back soon!
- July 24, 2009: @Burberry The Official Burberry Twitter feed is now live, welcome and thank you to those already following …
- September 8, 2009: @Versace I’m launching Twitter w/ a big welcome from Milan! Keep looking beautiful & remember, fashion should be fun and glamorous. –Donatella
- September 23, 2009: @Coach Hello from Coach! We’re excited to join the Twitter community – thanks for following us. More to come!
- January 15, 2010: @cathyhorynNYT Here’s a post from On the Runway about John Bartlett’s blog http://bit.ly/5e7r56
- February 25, 2010: @TiffanyandCo is now on Twitter. Follow us for exciting updates, product launches, celebrity coverage & a look inside the world of Tiffany.
- July 1, 2010: @MichaelKors If you’re heading east: All passengers riding the Hamptons-bound “Ambassador” line Thurs and Fri will get a free MK tote!
- July 6, 2011: @EsteeLauder: Welcome to our official Twitter page! We’re really looking forward to tweeting with you and starting our beauty conversation!
L2 emails keep you up to date on how brands are leveraging digital to grow their businesses.
Join Our EMail List