Vkontakte is the place to be in Russia; if you’re responsible your luxury brand’s digital marketing and you’re not on it yet, we suggest you look into this Russian version of Facebook, stat.
Consider these compelling data points:
• Russians are the most socially engaged users on the Internet—82 percent participate on at least one social media platform and they spend 12.8 hours per month on social media (twice the worldwide average).
• In terms of audience, VK is the clear market leader in Russia, with 44 million users (versus 12.8 million on Facebook).
• In terms of average time on site, VK ranks second after Mail.Ru Group, at more than six hours per month, 12 times the average time spent on Facebook by Russian users.
￼￼￼In our new Digital IQ Index: Russia Prestige study of 84 prestige brands, we found that eleven maintain a presence on both Facebook and VK, but seven brands are only present on Facebook. Brands venturing onto the local platform are seeing the benefits—VK brand pages are 2.5x the size of Facebook brand pages and register twice the engagement.
Moreover, this year’s study revealed that brands investing in the local social platform are growing at a faster pace. The average community size of brand pages on VK and Facebook featured in last year’s Digital IQ Index: Brazil, Russia, & India increased by 250 percent on VK, versus 116 percent on Facebook.
The graph below compares the types of pages that brands are employing on VK and Facebook:
1. “Russian workforce stuck on social networks,” Russia Beyond the Headlines, July 3, 2013.
2. “Top 20 sites in Russia by visitors and time spent,” comScore MMX, February 2013.
4. VK engagement includes open communities only. Facebook engagement and size exclude brands with global pages for which no market-specific audience data was available.